Thursday, August 18, 2011

Oh, for the love of Inspiration!

First, you need to read the title of this post in a frustrated means. As in, "Oh, my goodness gracious!"

You see, inspiration is an amazing "thing." Without inspiration, our lives would be very, very dull. No inventions, no entertainments, no excitement. Put me in a loincloth in the middle of a deserted wasteland and call me simple. Damn, wait, even now there are inspirations. :)

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. For those of us who have active imaginations, we find inspiration in everything.  

Everywhere.

Inspiration hovers, surrounds, and sometimes even clouds all our senses. At times this can be very exciting and invigorating. You snatch onto these ideas and shoot off into a writing frenzy. Characters, plots, descriptions, and narration floods your every pore, demanding entry into your brain and release on that huge area of white we commonly call paper, or the computer screen.


Sometimes, the flood can be a blessing. Our muse is happy and we're fervently working. Yay!

At other times, it's overwhelming. You have files upon files of beginnings, ideas and scenes that were pushed out and left. Forgotten. Taking up space on your hard drive.

On one hand, this is handy. When you find yourself in a writing slump, looking back into these left-for-dead ideas can stir the brain-pot. Maybe one of these ideas really has life beyond what you initially scribbled. Or, maybe reading through your past notes can boost your muse, reminding you that you are a worthy writer, and you'll get that push to get back to the grind.

Then, to take another stance, I go back to the beginning where I state that inspiration is everywhere. When you're trying to dedicate time to certain works-in-progress, you want blinders. Or maybe that's just me. :)  I don't like the oh-so-haughty inspiration when my mind should be wrapped around L and M. Don't distract me with Q and V, even if Q and V want to invite X to come over and play...and of course, X has to bring Z or it's all called off. Whew.

Ah, who am I kidding. L and M can be patient. I know what's going on with them. The party Q and V are throwing is bound to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I mean, not only will X and Z come over, I even heard that F, G and H - those naughty triplets - might drop by, too.


Have a great one and go out and get inspired!

(In case it's difficult to see, the poster states: "Come on over; the orgy's about to begin!" Love the Demotivational Posters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment