Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Juggling Saturday

There once was a time, a long, long time ago, when Saturdays meant sleeping late, shopping trips and lazing around the house or the park.  Damn me for not taking advantage of these moments when I had them.  But that's life, right? 

I think back to my pre-marriage and especially pre-kid days, and I am amazed that I actually thought I was too busy then to dedicate myself to writing.  Puleeze.  Was I a moron or what?  Now, I am writing, and squeezing in the time between taking care of a husband, three kids and elderly parents.  And pets!  haha.  Maybe now is the time that I do appreciate the stolen and worked-in moments to write as I know the then and now.  Take advantage when you can!

Saturdays have actually turned out to be decent writing days for me.  At least, I'm trying this tactic.  Take today, for example.  I have kids who want me to go out and monitor them as they learn to skateboard, ride bikes and roll down the hills (good thing we live on a not-too-busy street.  Bad thing today happens to be a yard sale day across the way).  Then one of my sons has to go to a belt testing for karate and that takes up a few hours.  But when all the extracurricular activities are over, the kids can play video games, a no-no at our house during school days.  So while they sit glued to the TV and play Indiana Jones or Zelda or some kind of sport game, I can settle down and tap away at the keyboard.

No, my Saturdays aren't as leisurely as they once were, but I appreciate the difference now and use this to take advantage of every opportunity I can. 

One definite thing about marriage and kids and yes, even writing - lazy no more am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment