Saturday, July 2, 2011

What's it all about?

In the excitement of showing off the new cover for Soulless, I was taken aback by one curious comment. 

"I like it," she said cautiously, "but she [the woman on the cover] doesn't look like she's happy. She doesn't look...willing."

As Marteeka Karland masterfully created this cover exactly as I had it pictured, this concerned woman's comments made me stop and think.

You see, I know what's going on in the story. I know the back story and the how, what, when, where and why. This is why the cover excites me. Yes, the woman on the cover does look hesitant, as she should.

In Soulless, the year is 2142 and you'll meet Laya. She's a waitress who's been on the run from an alien from the planet Malathix. She's seen the darker side of his nature and she's not sure what he wants from her, only that he's been after her for far too long now. Within her wages a war that tells her trust this male while her head is saying no. What should she do?

That's the entire point! Does she or doesn't she? What happens if she does? What happens if she doesn't? 

I'll tell you the same thing I told the woman who commented earlier. Just wait, and this coming Friday, read the story for yourself, and you'll see why this cover absolutely rocks for this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment