Friday, February 1, 2013

The Grass is Always Greener Syndrome

Image credit: © zimous - Fotolia.com
Do you suffer from this? 

Isn't this what we've always been warned against? A kind of be-happy-for-what-you-do-have because even though the grass may look greener over there, it has it's own mountain of problems.

Yeah, we all know this. But it doesn't stop us from peering over the fence. It doesn't stop us from wondering if maybe the other lawn's problems aren't ones we could handle better than our own? 

We humans are a fine fickle mess.

Myself included. 

The lawn I envy from time to time is one of solitude. Where there is no hubby, no kiddos, no family or friends. Okay, maybe not quite that extreme, but a life completely and entirely my own. Any appointments made would be solely for me. Any decisions would basically affect only me. Anything going on in my life, all me. 

Damn I sound selfish.   ;-)

Perhaps because in truth, I'm anything but. And, I've had a bit of that solitude in my past and let me tell you, it sucked. I peered at family and couples and bemoaned the fact I didn't have any of that. 

My how times change. Now, despite my moments of a desire for solitude, I'm happy where I am. I have my weeds and the grass isn't always cut ruler straight, but damn it, they're my weeds and my trimmings. 

So yes, there are times I'll walk past or even through that supposedly perfectly manicured lawn of solitude and enjoy every blessed moment. But I'll come back across the fence to my own yard, and even find myself appreciating the mess and chaos I have -- right where I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment